HFNJ recently awarded 11 grants totaling just under $200,000 to help ensure a complete count in the 2020 Census.
Grantees all work in Newark, Irvington, and the surrounding low-income communities, and have strong and trusting relationships with the people they serve. All will provide outreach, education, and assistance in filling out census forms.
Grantees are diverse in size and populations/neighborhoods served. They are:
- Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville
- The Community Food Bank of NJ – food pantries and distribution centers in Essex Co.
- Ironbound Community Corporation, Newark
- MEND, in partnership with the Interfaith Food Pantry of the Oranges
- NJCRI, Newark
- Newark Community Street Teams
- Newark Public Library – Main Library and 7 Newark branches
- Partnership for Maternal & Child Health, Irvington
- Planned Parenthood of Metro NJ, Newark, East Orange, and Montclair
- Programs for Parents – Essex County
- Zufall Health Centers – Essex County
The time to act is now. For more Census 2020 information, contact any of the above agencies or:
The Fund for NJ, https://www.fundfornj.org/
Advocates for Children of NJ, www.acnj.org
For information in 6 languages, materials, a tool kit, etc., contact:
Census Counts, https://censuscounts.org/resources/library/