The Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center are proud to announce the opening of the Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey Breast Health Center on October 13, 2015. The Center, funded with a grant from The Healthcare Foundation in late 2014, will transform breast health care for more than 10,000 women from greater Newark each year by providing leading-edge technology for screening, diagnosis and treatment in a soothing, spa-like, patient-centered environment. In greater Newark, the number of breast cancers detected for each 1,000 people screened has been 10-12 – double the national average – due to lack of regular medical care/screening. Patients in Newark have more often been diagnosed in Stages 3-4, when survival rates plummet below 20%. The good news is that more and more women are being screening, and demand at the Beth has doubled from 5,000 to 10,000 annually since 2010. It is projected that the demand for mammograms will double or triple again over the next 5-10 years. The new Healthcare Foundation of New Jersey Breast Health Center will provide the patient-centered environment so important to women who go for screenings and follow-up care. It is our hope that this state of the art facility will attract more and more women, encouraging them to take the same care of their own health as the care they take of their children and other loved ones. The new Center will:
- Increase the number of women screened each year and encourage regular annual screening;
- Accelerate access to services and reduce appointment wait times for the earliest possible detection and lifesaving care;
- Enhance the care experience by creating a comfortable facility that unifies all breast diagnostic care;
- Enable same-day follow-up services to reduce anxiety for patients and the need for return visits; and
- Seamlessly integrate with the hospital’s Frederick B. Cohen Cancer Center, breast surgery programs, and radiation oncology services.